Re: how to discover what package is required

Hi,

I saw the top-posting and missed the rest of your questions.  Mea culpa.

Answers below.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 22:27 (+0100), deloptes via tde-devels wrote:

> Jim via tde-devels wrote:

>> Following the instructions at

>> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Raspbian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions
>> I installed tdebase-trinity (rather than tde-trinity), mainly because of
>> disk space concerns.

>> I then installed korganizer-trinity, which is the package of most
>> immediate interest to me.

>> However, when I try to configure the date and time (Settings/Configure
>> Date & Time ...) I am told
>> WARNING: No TDE menu group with X-TDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
>> Defaulting to Settings/

> tdebase-trinity usually pulls the whole set of packages needed to run TDE.

Well, maybe it should, but I guess it depends on what one exactly
means "to run TDE".

> AFAIK you must provide root or sudo password to configure date and time of
> the PC - you most probably mean the Kalendar date and time display
> settings.

Sorry it wasn't clear above... when I try to configure korganizer's date
and time (i.e., the way it presents the date and time, I am not trying
to change the system time), using the korganizer menu item
"Settings/Configure Date & Time ..." I get that message.

> what source did you use - what is mentioned in the article?

Yes, I used exactly the lines in the article, except I put "buster" in
for "<your-distribution>".  I commented out the deb-src lines, since I
was not planning to d/l any source at this point.

>> This leaves me completely unaware of what package(s) I should install
>> to make it happy.

> tdebase-trinity usually installs what is needed - in this case did you
> install also locale packages as noted in the article?

I did not.  My native language is English, and I am OK with the
default locale.  (If there was a Canadian English locale I might have
installed it, but I don't see any locale in the listing whose name
suggests that to me.)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION which may or may not help:
When I start up kcontrol, the pane on the left which should have all
sort of things (in an older version of TFE on another computer I have
"Appearance & Themes", "Desktop", "Internet & Network", and so on)
is empty.  So, again, it can't find whatever it is looking for.

According to the output of an incantation I found on line, there are
1037 packages with "trinity" in the name which I have not (yet) installed.
I guess I could just bite the bullet and start randomly installing
things, but if anyone can share some wisdom, it would be most appreciated.

>> Q1: Can anyone tell me which packages I would want to install to be
>> able to run this setting?

>> Q2: Can anyone tell me how I could have figured this out myself, short
>> of reading all the code?  (I did look at some code, but decided
>> that it was taking me down some very long chain of function calls
>> with no end in sight, and I had to move on to some other work
>> right now.)

>> Thanks very much.

                                Jim