Re: how to discover what package is required

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 22:27 (+0100), deloptes via tde-devels wrote:

> Hi,
> Wouldn't this question be more appropriate for the user list?

I thought about that, and decided that this list seemed more appropriate.

While there might be a "user" who knows the answer, it seems to me
that being able to answer these questions requires knowledge about how
TDE works at some internal level, rather than "how do I make it work".

A "user" who is also a TDE "guru" or "wizard" would probably know,
but, then again, they might then be on this list (as I am) for general
interest.

Cheers.
                                Jim

> Jim via tde-devels wrote:

>> Following the instructions at

> https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Raspbian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions
>> I installed tdebase-trinity (rather than tde-trinity), mainly because of
>> disk space concerns.

>> I then installed korganizer-trinity, which is the package of most
>> immediate interest to me.

>> However, when I try to configure the date and time (Settings/Configure
>> Date & Time ...) I am told
>> WARNING: No TDE menu group with X-TDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
>> Defaulting to Settings/

> tdebase-trinity usually pulls the whole set of packages needed to run TDE.
> AFAIK you must provide root or sudo password to configure date and time of
> the PC - you most probably mean the Kalendar date and time display
> settings.

> what source did you use - what is mentioned in the article?

>> This leaves me completely unaware of what package(s) I should install
>> to make it happy.

> tdebase-trinity usually installs what is needed - in this case did you
> install also locale packages as noted in the article?

>> Q1: Can anyone tell me which packages I would want to install to be
>> able to run this setting?

>> Q2: Can anyone tell me how I could have figured this out myself, short
>> of reading all the code?  (I did look at some code, but decided
>> that it was taking me down some very long chain of function calls
>> with no end in sight, and I had to move on to some other work
>> right now.)

>> Thanks very much.

Dr. Jim Diamond       "Convenio ergo sum"      |                        /"\
Jodrey School of Computer Science              | ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /
Acadia University, Wolfville NS Canada B4P 2R6 |  http://arc.pasp.de/    x
Voice: (902) 585-1402    Fax: (902) 585-1067   |                        / \