Re: Desktop files translations

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:03:41 +0100
Slávek Banko <slavek.banko@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 of March 2020 05:15:37 Michele Calgaro via trinity-devel
> wrote:
> > > --4. How to organize translation files in source git repositories?
> > >
> > > Currently, the organizing of the translation files is inconsistent.
> > > Therefore, it seems appropriate to harmonize the layout of directories
> > > with translations.
> > >
> > > Here are a few of the variations used: + po/<lang>.po +
> > > translations/<lang>/messages/<app>.po
> > >
> > > For desktop file translations, all languages ​​are required to be
> > > located in the same directory, named in accordance with the language.
> > > For example:
> > >
> > > + po/desktops/<desktop-name>.pot +
> > > po/desktops/<desktop-name>/<lang>.po
> > >
> > > Do you prefer the directory name "po" or "translations"? In this
> > > directory, it seems to me a good breakdown by purpose - "messages",
> > > "desktops", because this will allow in the future to add "docs",
> > > "manpages". The structure could look like this:
> > >
> > > po/desktops/abakus.desktop.pot po/desktops/abakus.desktop/<lang>.po
> > > po/messages/abakus.pot po/messages/abakus/<lang>.po
> > >
> > > What is your opinion?
> >
> > How about this?
> >
> > translations/desktop_files/pot/<all pot files of the module>
> > translations/desktop_files/<lang>/<all po files of the module for the
> > language> translations/messages/pot/<all pot files of the module>
> > translations/messages/<lang>/<all po files of the module for the
> > language>
> >

> I have no objections to any of the options to use short 'po' and or
> long 'translations'. The only important thing is that we find the
> consensus and then unify it in all modules. Similarly to 'desktops'
> × 'desktop_files'.

Not going to chime in on the rest, since it has little to do with me, but
I also vote for "translations".  The problem with using "po" is that it
doesn't make it clear what the files are unless you already know how
the translation system works.  Also, the meaning of "po" might become
opaque if details like the file extension used by the system change, so
"translations" is more future-proof.

E. Liddell