Re: QT->TQT changes in main trunk

On 10/01/2018 06:06 AM, Slávek Banko wrote:
> Dne po 1. října 2018 Michele Calgaro napsal(a):

>>> Michele, Tim, Slavek, All,
>>>
>>> With KDE going to Plasma and Qt going to Frameworks, is there still
>>> any need for the Qt->tQt changes? I'm just trying to stay up to date.
>>> If we are still protecting for the possibility of a change in Qt that
>>> the tqt layer would handle, then that all makes sense, but if TDE
>>> plans to continue maintaining Qt3 (which I see no reason to change,
>>> it does everything I need), then is there still a need for the
>>> renaming effort?
>>
>> Hi David,
>> the major reason for qt->tqt and kde->tde rename is avoid package
>> conflicts in case tde is installed together with others DE. A lot of
>> renaming has alrady been done (and a lot still has to be done), but at
>> this stage going back is probably as much work as going forward.
>> It feels good for TDE to have its own identity, so I see rename as a
>> good thing. Just my two cents, others may have different views on this.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Michele
>>

> Hi David,
>
> you should not forget one crucial thing: While for TDE v3.5.x is used Qt3
> and the TQt layer was through tqtinterface, for TDE R14.x is used TQt3
> with a native TQt layer and the tqtinterface is more or less transparent.
>
> And since TQt3 is used, it makes sense not to use QT constants, but to
> rename them to TQT. This will not only make the code cleaner, but also
> prevent potential conflicts.
>
> Cheers

Thanks Slavek, Michele,

  Yes, I remember well and I recall all the good effort you put into the
initial renaming while we bridged with 3.5.13_SRU waiting for renaming, Darrel
to finish tidying up the help system and the artwork for the all publicly
visible material (I still have some of the original gimp and inkscape files
from the time). The only reason I posed the question, was I recall you had all
but eliminated any KDE3/KDE4/TDE Qt naming issues back then, and I also recall
all the effort that went into the tool to help port kde/qt sources to tde/tqt
so if somebody wanted to build their favorite kde app on tde, it could be done
without a whole lot of grief.

  I'm all for it if it is needed, but I didn't think Plasma/Frameworks5 would
conflict with the Qt naming from Qt3, and with kde.org tossing kde4 on the
trash heap of desktops that were going to be better than KDE3/TDE and change
the world, I was just curious if it justified all the manhours to do.

  If it will make everything cleaner, then it is a good thing. If it will just
make it that much harder to build kde apps on tde -- well, if the conflict
isn't the driver, is it worth the effort?

  I may be thinking wrong, but I recall the year+ long effort to rename and
rework and eliminate all conflicts in the 2012-2014 timeframe, and that was a
whole lot of work. When Michele says "probably as much work as going forward",
that worries me.

  You guys (and girls) know best, and the past efforts work seamlessly, so if
it will make things easier/cleaner, no reason not to do it.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

[Index of Archives]     [Trinity Users]     [Linux Sound]     [ALSA Users]     [ALSA Devel]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux Media]     [KDE]     [Kernel]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]     [Linux Media]     [Trinity Desktop Environment]