Re: TCMU and libtcmu.so

On 11/24/2015 03:37 PM, Oleg Smolsky wrote:
Hi Andy, let me clarify my position on DBus. The following components
are easily installed on the latest Debian/Ubuntu system: dbus, libdbus,
libdbus-glib as well as libnl 3. Their presence is not a problem in my
environment.

OK, very good to hear.

The run-time configuration is another matter as I would like to run
user-mode LIO backends inside containers. This means limiting/removing
the system interactions as much as possible. Ideally, the backend would
implement both device discovery/configuration as well as data
processing. This gives me the freedom to implement the event loop(s) and
handle I/O from a device(s) in whatever way I see fit. The user-mode
process would only rely on the kernel facilities (well, as well as the
packaged shared libs) and the TCMU plugin configuration would be fixed.

How about a compromise - DBus API is always available, yet only used
when it is meaningful. That is when the handlers are loaded on the fly
into tcmu-runner. I.e. there would static and dynamic ways to configure
handlers and devices.

Works for me.

In fact, I think all we need to do is make sure that libtcmu keeps going even if it fails to connect to the DBus system bus[0].

Regards -- Andy

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2013-September/015797.html