Re: PR problems in kernel 4.2

Hi Scott,

On Fri, 2015-09-11 at 21:24 -0400, Scott L. Lykens wrote:
> > On Sep 11, 2015, at 5:29 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > There where a number of RCU changes that went in during the v4.2 time
> > frame that effect PR code, so I wouldn't be surprised if a regression is
> > lurking..
> >
> > It would be very helpful to get your target side log while running MSFT
> > validate cluster on both v4.2 and v3.19 kernel code with following
> > enabled:
> >
> >   echo 'file target_core_pr.c +p' > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
> >
> > Note this requires the kernel to be built with CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG=y,
> > and debugfs is mounted at /sys/kernel/debug.
> >
> > With that information, it should be pretty easy to troubleshoot.
>
> Thank you, Nicholas. I’ve run the requested logs and placed them on dropbox as follows:
>
> 3.19 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/alh1nxnr8uaz3mk/pr-319.log?dl=0
>
> 4.2 - https://www.dropbox.com/s/51u7h18bee6q0ga/pr-42.log?dl=0
>
> Please note that I’ve filtered out the "Allowing implicit CDB: 0x28
> for Write Exclusive Access, Registrants Only reservation on
> unregistered nexus” entries for both of these files as under 3.19 it
> was generating probably over 100 per second. There were not nearly as
> many under 4.2 but there are bursts here and there. Please let me know
> if this is a problem.
>
> Thanks for your prompt response and for any help you can provide.

Thanks for the logs.  A patch to address this v4.2+ specific PR
regression was just sent out to the list:

target: Fix PR registration + APTPL RCU conversion regression
http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=144220263805235&w=2

I've verified that it works as expected on v4.3-rc1 target code using
sg_persist, and should get you unblocked on v4.2 code.

Note there are a couple obscure PR cases that still need to be verified,
but AFAICT what Hyper-V cluster logic needs should be working as
expected now.

Please let me know once you can verify on your v4.2 qla2xxx setup.

Thank you,

--nab