Re: Kernel OOP - Writes across Multiple Connections within Session

Hi Nab,

On Friday 20 June 2014 01:47 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
On Thu, 2014-06-19 at 14:16 +0530, Santosh Kulkarni wrote:
Hi Nab,

On Thursday 19 June 2014 01:32 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
Hi Santosh,

On Wed, 2014-06-18 at 15:34 +0530, Santosh Kulkarni wrote:
Hi Nab,

Facing Kernel OOP when i am issuing Writes across Multiple connections
in a single session.
The crash happens immediately when the DataOut PDU is sent on the second
connection.

To confirm, this occurs when the initiator sends a ISCSI_OP_SCSI_CMD
with ITT=X setting it's allegiance to one connection, and then
(illegally) sends a ISCSI_OP_SCSI_DATA_OUT with ITT=X on another
connection, right..?
There was a slight mistake in the way i formed my sentence earlier.
The WRITE10 request and DataOut PDUs are being issued on the "same
connection" within a session.
The Crash happens only when this is issued on multiple connections.ITT
remains same across all connections
If i carry out WRITE only on single connections the target is behaving fine.
And the behavior is not persistent.It happens intermittently.Here is a
new crash dump

Mmmmm, I need the pr_debug output to be enabled in order to make further
sense of what's going on here.

Please enable CONFIG_DYNAMIC_DEBUG=y, mount debugfs at /debug and do:

    'echo iscsi_target_mod +p' > /debug/dynamic_debug/cpmtrp;

Thanks for the quick response.

The output was with dynamic debug mode ON.
However i double checked with the above procedure. And i see the same debug logs. The crash happens even with incremental ITT and also while using same ITT throughout the session.

Do let me know if you need anything else.
Adding Arshad in Cc.

Is there an issue with target not able to retrieve the correct ITT ? I
did not get time to look into it.

It looks like some combination of re-using the same ITT before the
original is being acknowledged by StatSN..  I assume if you are using
normal incrementing ITTs, you'll not trigger the problem.  It would be
worthwhile to verify that bit.

Please include a wireshark capture, along with iscsi_target_mod pr_debug
output enabled.
Attaching the pcap. I am basically opening 2 connections.First being the
leading connection.And I am performing a READ10 and WRITE10 operation on
both the connections.

Thanks,

--nab

Regards