Re: Hyper-V cluster shared volumes

Hey Thomas,

On Sun, 2013-12-15 at 08:10 +0100, Thomas Glanzmann wrote:
> Hello Nab,
> have you done any testing with cluster shared volumes and ODX
> (Microsofts Name for XCOPY) on the target code? I have some customers
> which are complaining about ODX (XCOPY) performance when working on 3PAR
> storage. And I would like to test in my lab environment. So I wonder
> about any previous experience because I myself do not work a lot with
> hyper-v. However I'll report back here if I hit any roadbumps or have
> success.

FYI, ODX uses Token based XCOPY (XCOPY LID4), which is an entirely
different animal than traditional synchronous XCOPY (XCOPY LID1) that
ESX and LIO currently supports.

Token based XCOPY requires that a point in time snapshot be taken during
token allocation, and each local XCOPY READ is done from the snapshot
using said taken.  To my knowledge, ODX only supports this mechanism for
copy offload, and does not implement XCOPY LID1 logic.

--nab