Re: targetd and others

On 10/01/2012 02:22 AM, folkert wrote:
>>> What about extending targetd so that it also allows
>>> - other storage than lvm
>>
>> Like btrfs?
>
> For example indeed.
> I was thinking: maybe the targetd protocol can be documented and made
> generic so that we get a universal interface for managing storage
> exports on Linux systems - and maybe other suppliers will hitch on this
> as well. This would be interesting: now every storage supplier has their
> own management tool (ibm storagemanager springs to mind) which have
> their shortcomings.
> (for example my own storage solution (a data deduplicator) would benefit
> from such a thing)

First, targetd wire protocol is documented here:

https://github.com/agrover/targetd/blob/master/API.md

but whether it should be developed into a generic API is another
question. Right now I'm trying to keep it small and focused. Another
project, libstoragemanagement, is aiming to provide a universal open
interface for both FOSS and commercial storage array makers:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/libstoragemgmt/

and targetd plugs into libsm.

This seems like a good separation to me. targetd can focus on giving
Linux a full-featured FOSS remote storage array interface, and then
users (either directly or via app integration) can use libsm to manage
the array, whatever type it is.

Regards -- Andy