Re: finding guids of local fw devices

On Jul 25 Peter Hurley wrote:
> does the present stack provide any
> guarantee that the local unit device is probed/created before the
> corresponding remote unit device is probed/created?
>
> Take the case where a unit driver on the local node adds a Config ROM
> unit directory. Then, at some subsequent bus reset, the remote node
> builds the topo tree and creates a unit device for (from its POV) the
> remote unit. Is it possible that the local node has not yet built the
> topo tree and created the local unit device?

Most likely, both the local node and the remote node start the reprobing
procedure at the same time (after the selfID-complete event, after the
bus reset which the local node initiated in order to advertise the change
of the Config ROM).  After that, the remote node obviously has to go
through the asynchronous 1394 I/O in order to fetch the changed Config
ROM, whereas the local node gets it immediately from RAM.  This makes it
extremely unlikely --- but not impossible --- that the remote node
finishes this before the local node.
--
Stefan Richter