Re: FC ready yet? (configuration issues)

On Mon, 2012-02-13 at 10:47 -0700, Peter W. Morreale wrote:
> Hello all,

Greetings Peter,

> I'm trying to install/config a FC target using the latest trees on two
> physical hosts.  Is this ready for playing with yet?

Support for Qlogic FC target should be considered BETA at this point,
but people are currently testing with lio-core.git/master and you should
be able to get up and running with the necessary firmware from QLogic on
24xx and 25xx series HBAs.

> The target is an openSUSE 11.4 and initiator a openSUSE 12.1, both fully
> patched.
>
> What I did was to clone Nicholas' lio-2.6 tree, as well as the targetcli
> tree and attempt to follow the instructions at:
>
> http://www.linux-iscsi.org/wiki/QLogic
>
> The LIO tree is current as of today.
>
> Substituting branch qla_tgt-3.3 in the LIO tree and targetcli for
> rtsadmin, I continued on...

So qla_tgt-3.3 was actually a working branch that has been merged back
into lio-core.git/master last month, and has now been deleted.

Please use lio-core.git/master for your qla2xxx / tcm_qla2xxx testing,
and make sure to grab the latest HEAD from this afternoon:

commit c851cb5a4043e11ae7844dc8a01d4787a4cc9573
Author: Nicholas Bellinger <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:   Mon Feb 13 01:26:48 2012 -0800

    qla_target/tcm_qla2xxx: Fix TMR_ABORT_TASK with target mode usage

> So now the target is running the LIO kernel, it is booted and (mostly)
> happy.
>
> I was apparently successful in configuring using targetcli, at least
> from the standpoint of creating a FILEIO backstore and linking it to
> tcm_fc as lun 0.

Good, so tcm_fc(fcoe) w/ libfc is working as expected..

> I merely tried to intelligently substitute targetcli
> commands for the rtsAdmin commands in the above page.

<TAB> completion is your friend in the shell.  ;)

> However as the above page implies, an lsmod should show qla2xxx linked
> to tcm_qla2xxx and it does not on my target host.
>
> Further, a restart of /etc/init.d/target fails when attempting to
> execute the /etc/target/qla*start script.
>
> Rather than spam the list with the details of the current configuration,
> I thought I'd start off by asking whether I am premature at this point?
> Is this to a testing stage yet?

Yes, any testing feedback is greatly appreciated.

> If so, am I on the right track by following the above page?  Anything
> obvious I'm missing?

Go ahead and send along the relevant output for dmesg, lsmod, lspci
-vvv, and top level rtsadmin/targetcli ls and I'll have a look.

Also, could you try manually loading qla2xxx + tcm_qla2xxx to see if
'mkdir /sys/kernel/config/target/qla2xxx' can create the top level
fabric configfs group directly..?

Thanks,

--nab