Re: iblock vs fileio

On Tue, 29 November 2011 16:57:20 -0800, Andy Grover wrote:

> What userspace code depends on the name of the transport processing
> thread?? This is a really bad example of a userspace dependency.

Some script using pgrep.  I don't want to defend the code, as it
doesn't matter.  The current name became part of the ABI and - worse -
there is existing code in the wild depending on it.  So we're stuck.

> But you are correct that there *are* configfs interfaces that are named,
> based on the backstore name. However, I still view the situation as
> "still early" enough so that if we want to spare our users the confusion
> of why the backstore is named iblock instead of block for the rest of
> eternity, then maybe we should do that while we REALLY still can.

*shrug*
We have lots of stupid interfaces that only a timemachine could
remove.  Now we have one more.

Jörn

--
The key to performance is elegance, not battalions of special cases.
-- Jon Bentley and Doug McIlroy