Re: rtsadmin name change

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Chris Boot <bootc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 16/09/2011 01:08, Jerome Martin wrote:
>>
>> It has been suggested to me by several parties that the "rtsadmin"
>> name for the open-source CLI tool used to
>> administrate the targets is causing some issues. Accordingly, before
>> tagging release 2.0, I would like to ask
>> everyone that has an opinion here if they have favored alternatives,
>> in order to update the name for the release.
>
> I personally don't mind rtsadmin but I can see why the name might ruffle
> some feathers and why it probably should be changed. You should be commended
> for making the move to change the name so quickly.
>
>> Currently, the list is:
>>
>> - lioadm
>> - lioadmin
>
> I'm not so keen on these as LIO is 'Linux-iSCSI.org', but the target
> framework is much more than just iSCSI. To me these would make FC, SAS,
> etc... all seem like second-class citizens.

You are right. We actually tried to move away from lio name in the
past but unexpectedly it did stick, hence the suggestion.

>> - tcmadmin
>
> I've been using LIO/TCM/whatever it's actually called for a while now and I
> still can't work out what TCM is supposed to mean/be. Is it Target Core Mod?
> If so I'm not sure this is good as I see the Target Core as being the
> back-end drivers like iblock and pscsi and not the front-end target drivers
> like iSCSI/FC/SAS/etc...

Right, tcm is the storage backend part.
Again, I am relaying suggestions here :-)

>> - targetadmin
>
> This is perhaps a little long but I like this the most so far. It does
> exactly what it says on the tin.

I agree with you but it feels a bit awkward and long.
However, yeah, it seems to be the one carrying the best meaning of the
whole list.

>> - tgtadm
>> - tgtadmin
>
> The Linux SCSI Target Framework userspace admin tools are called tgtadm and
> tgt-admin, so I think these are best avoided. Definitely the first as it
> would make migration from tgt over to LIO/TCM/Target/whatever much more
> difficult. tgtadmin should be avoided due to its similarity, IMO.

<nod>

Thanks for your input!

How would an 'exotic' name feel to you guys ?
I had maybe 'cible' in mind (this is 'target' in french ;-) )...

Regards,
--
Jérôme Martin