Re: rtsadmin name change

On 16/09/2011 01:08, Jerome Martin wrote:
It has been suggested to me by several parties that the "rtsadmin"
name for the open-source CLI tool used to
administrate the targets is causing some issues. Accordingly, before
tagging release 2.0, I would like to ask
everyone that has an opinion here if they have favored alternatives,
in order to update the name for the release.

I personally don't mind rtsadmin but I can see why the name might ruffle some feathers and why it probably should be changed. You should be commended for making the move to change the name so quickly.

Currently, the list is:

- lioadm
- lioadmin

I'm not so keen on these as LIO is 'Linux-iSCSI.org', but the target framework is much more than just iSCSI. To me these would make FC, SAS, etc... all seem like second-class citizens.

- tcmadmin

I've been using LIO/TCM/whatever it's actually called for a while now and I still can't work out what TCM is supposed to mean/be. Is it Target Core Mod? If so I'm not sure this is good as I see the Target Core as being the back-end drivers like iblock and pscsi and not the front-end target drivers like iSCSI/FC/SAS/etc...

- targetadmin

This is perhaps a little long but I like this the most so far. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

- tgtadm
- tgtadmin

The Linux SCSI Target Framework userspace admin tools are called tgtadm and tgt-admin, so I think these are best avoided. Definitely the first as it would make migration from tgt over to LIO/TCM/Target/whatever much more difficult. tgtadmin should be avoided due to its similarity, IMO.

HTH,
Chris