Re: soft-reboot and service templates

On Fri, Jun 7, 2024 at 12:43 PM Luca Boccassi <luca.boccassi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> /run is expected though - if you want that, you need to bind mount it
> explicitly. You normally don't want all of it, and the default
> portable profile only picks the journal and dbus sockets and a couple
> of other things, which is better:
>
> BindReadOnlyPaths=/dev/log /run/systemd/journal/socket
> /run/systemd/journal/stdout
> BindReadOnlyPaths=/etc/machine-id
> BindReadOnlyPaths=-/etc/resolv.conf
> BindReadOnlyPaths=/run/dbus/system_bus_socket

Ok, but I still expect that, if sd_journal_print() works without
additional service file entries before soft-reboot, it continues to
work after soft-reboot, too. But I'm fine with adding the additional
BindPaths to my service file.

> > My demo: https://github.com/thkukuk/sec-counter
> > Remove the BindReadOnlyPaths entry from
> > portable-image/sec-counter.service and the service will stop writing
> > to journald with sd_journal_print().
>
> Note that you really don't want PrivateTmp=yes as that will bind it to
> the previous /tmp from the host, which is recreated on softreboot, so
> it will be leaked. You want TemporaryFileSystem=/tmp instead.

Thanks for the hint.

  Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect, Future Technologies
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstraße 146, 90461