LLMNR should be disabled on new deployments

Hello everyone,

I would like to request disabling LLMNR protocol in new releases by default. The protocol itself is deprecated even by Microsoft, who disabled it in Windows 10. I think Multicast DNS is supperior and MS thinks it also [1].

Because it is not implemented well in systemd-resolved, it has been causing regressions. Because it won't work with the primary system it was created for, I think it is good time to disable it in default installations. If someone needs it, it can still be enabled manually. But because it is breaking single label queries, I think it should not be enabled unless requested. It is enabled even on Fedora Server, which I consider serious mistake. Since even Windows desktops do not enable it anymore, I think also Workstation edition should disable it by default.

I have created pull request [2] for that. Examples, how it breaks correct DNS, are in issue [3].

I want to request disabling LLMNR by default in upcoming Fedora 39. I would recommend doing that in any other distributions using systemd-resolved in default installation.

Any opinions or comments?

Regards,
Petr

1. https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/networking-blog/aligning-on-mdns-ramping-down-netbios-name-resolution-and-llmnr/ba-p/3290816