Re: bind-mount of /run/systemd for chrooted bind9/named

I would not recommend using own chroot to anyone, who has enabled SELinux or similar security technology.

We still offer subpackage bind-chroot, which has prepared named-chroot.service for doing just that. But SELinux provides better enforcement, while not complicating deployment and usage of named. I kindly disagree it is still suggested.

Also, BIND9 is full of assertions ensuring unexpected code paths are reported. This is defensive coding style, which makes it difficult to success in remote code execution attack. I have been maintainer of BIND for 6 years, but I am not aware of any successful remote execution in the last decade. Maybe not ever.

I think the more important protection you can deploy is simple:

Restart=on-abnormal

I think good enough systemd checks are sufficient replacement to custom tailored chroots.

Cheers,
Petr