Re: When service consumption cpu time message will be at the journal?

Michal Koutný <mkoutny@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 06:13:01PM +0000, u34@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > I have timers to run user, and system, services.
> > Usually, but not always, the journal has a
> >
> >     systemd[1]: NAME.service: Consumed DURATION CPU time.
> >
> > as the last message for each activation of a service. I wonder whether it
> > is expected that sometimes there is no such message.
>
> The message presence/absence should be deterministic.

It is not. I did not configure anything in particular. Sometimes, perhaps
When the associated timer service has an error, but not always, the message
is absent. By an error I mean, for example, network is not reachable during
service run. Or a particular remote host is not responding.

> > I can not predict, or characterise, when such message will not be
> > given, other than saying I suspect the user service is more likely to
> > not have such a message.
>
> What do you mean by "user service"? (Service with User=, user@.service,
> a service of user systemd instance or ...)

By a user service I mean a service that its timer is controlled by a regular
user, uid >= 1000. And its journal can be seen by that regular user with

    journalctl --user -u associatedTimerService --since today

> Do you observe any other anomalies correlated with missing consumption
> message too?

As I wrote, perhaps the message is absent when the service has terminated
with an error. But that association is not conclusive.

> Thanks,
> Michal

Thank you too.

--