Re: Ordering issues

On 04.01.2023 21:21, Scott Ellentuch wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to do something with inconsistent results and wondered where I'm
going wrong. I recently installed GLUSTERFS onto a set of 4 Raspberry PI's,
but am having some boot sequencing issues.

It started trying to run rsyslogd. Apparently, it was getting started
before the gluster mount was done. After a bit of looking, I added into
[Unit] -

After=glusterd.service

Restarted the machine and all good. So the next thing I tried was for
keepalived . It started up and failed with not being able to see its config
file (Moved to gluster).

It checks for /etc/keepalived/keepalived.conf file. If you moved this file somewhere else, you presumably need to adjust path to this file in unit definition as well.

I changed -

[Unit]
Description=Keepalive Daemon (LVS and VRRP)
After=network-online.target
Wants=network-online.target
# Only start if there is a configuration file
ConditionFileNotEmpty=/etc/keepalived/keepalived.conf

[Unit]
Description=Keepalive Daemon (LVS and VRRP)
After=network-online.target glusterd.service
Wants=network-online.target glusterd.service
# Only start if there is a configuration file
ConditionFileNotEmpty=/etc/keepalived/keepalived.conf

But it still isn't letting glusterd run before it.

What exactly does it mean? What is "it" that "isn't letting" and what is "it" in "before it" and how you determine that the problem is due to the wrong order?

(And I did run
`systemctl daemon-reload` after the change.

daemon-reload applies to units started after it. When you edited unit definition your system was already booted so presumably this unit was already activated.

How can I track down why this isn't happening in the order I expect?

What makes you think the problem is in ordering of units? Have you checked journal? systemd logs when it begins and completes activation of each unit.