Re: Error while trying to boot kernel

On 1.12.22 г. 18:40 ч., Michal Koutný wrote:
Hi.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 11:37:09PM +0200, Nikolay Borisov <n.borisov.lkml@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm booting it inside qemu but I use ubuntu to create the initrd, as can be seen from the
attached log everything works up until switch root has to happen and then I get a
SIGTERM and booting dies.

Why do you conclude it's SIGTERM?

You are of course you were right. The problem was rather more trivial...

Since the distro is based on RHEL9 and glibc was blowing because qemu wasn't advertising AVX-AES and this has become mandatory for RHEL9. I only figured this out when I used RHEL9's systemd as an init process and saw it was blowing in glibc while loading the initrd. Posting in case someone else runs into something similar...

[    9.047894] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00007f00

This looks loke PID1 exited on its own volition with exit value 127.
I am not able to attribute it to anything in systemd.

Is the re-execed binary (/[usr/]lib/systemd) systemd at all? (Perhaps it
failed to find an executable at some stage, hence 127)

HTH,
Michal