Using systemd.network [NETWORKEMULATOR] to throttle a specific service

Hi everyone!

Can I use systemd.network to throttle a specific service? I am asking because I read this statement in systemd.network(5) [1]:

> The [NetworkEmulator] section manages the queueing discipline (qdisc) of the network emulator. It can be used to [...] limit the bandwidth usage of a particular service to simulate internet connections.

That tripped me up (and made me curious) because so far I thought that tc and netem is used to only configure network interfaces.

This statement was originally introduced in PR#13747 [2], but it is not clear how to actually limit the bandwidth usage of a particular service.

Is this at all possible? If so, how? Was this an oversight and there is no such functionality?

Janis

1: https://systemd.network/systemd.network.html#%5BNetworkEmulator%5D%20Section%20Options
2: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/13747