Re: Best practise for creating sockets without a corresponding service

Hello.

What processes the data flowing into step1@.socket (==service1@.socket)?

> I don't need any service to actually run in step1, I would like
> systemd to manage the sockets and the dependencies (as it is for the
> rest of the chain).

So why don't you just shift the rest of the pipeline/numbering?
step1@.socket would trigger step1@.service and it'd do job that your
current step2@.service does.

And you'd initiate your pipeline with

eval systemctl start step1@{1..${cpu_cores}}.socket

and trigger by writes into the sockets from the single
service_data_gen.

> What is the best practise for an ExecStart= entry to act as a dummy,
> where no service is actually required?  At the moment I am using:
>
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/sh -c "sleep infininty" in the service template for
> service1@.service

ExecStart=/bin/true
RemainAfterExit=true

is slightly better in terms of system resource use.

> I think the crux of this is entirely related to the use of instance
> templates and linking one unconnected single parent service to many
> child services (and sockets).

FTR, not related to templates in particular, as systemd.socket(5) says:
"For each socket unit, a matching service unit must exist".

HTH,
Michal