Attaching an overlayfs to an existing nspawn container

Hi,
is there an option to attach an additional overlayfs to an existing
running container? Like the existing `--overlay` flag but after the
container is already running.

The use case I have in mind is attaching additional binaries to
investigate the container, without requiring the initial container image
to be bloated.

I couldn't find a way to do it, so if it doesn't exist, is it because of
a technical blocker or should I open an issue for it? If so, I would
also love some guidance to try and tackle it myself.

Thanks,
Yotam Nachum