Re: Antw: [EXT] Service activation

Nachricht <3320ed4b-2a0c-d7e6-a8a1-b7c83b5f430a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 14/02/2022 08:27, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>> And once I've got all that sorted, I'm betting I'm going to have grief
>>> getting it to work properly, so while it's not much to do with systemd,
>>> is there any way I can get systemd to log all traffic back and forth so
>>> I can debug it?
>
>> Maybe understandable documentation is where xinetd is still better tahn
> systemd;-)
>>
> I doubt it. Documentation is excellent at reminding you what you already
> knew. It's piss poor at getting a newbie started.

I myself also was very much confused about socket activation (wearing the admin hat, not the developer's).
For example in SLES there exist:
virtlockd.service
virtlogd.socket
virtlockd.socket
virtlockd-admin.socket
libvirtd.service

libvirtd may need virtlockd (maybe both also need virtlogd, I don't know), so how to properly restart virtlockd, and when which servcies exactly do I have to enable?
Some combinations don't work as exected (or "as planned").

> I've got an industrial project that was GPL'd, there's nobody really
> with a proper grasp of how it's written, and I'm trying to help get it
> into a state where we can make an official release.
>
> I know bugger all about systemd, or xinetd, so I'm in that twisty maze
> of passages, are they all alike or different?
>
> :-)

Of course they are different; be sure to carry your lamp with you ;-)