Service activation

More fun getting things to work ... :-)

So I've got a service, scarletdme.service, which fires up my db backend for running interactively. However, I also need a socket service for remote connections.

I've got the xinetd files, but if I'm running systemd, I want to use systemd :-)

So I've written scarletdme.socket, and scarletdme@.service, but the more I read, the more I don't understand ...

Do I enable scarletdme.socket the same as anything else eg "systemctl enable scarletdme.socket"? How does it know the difference between scarletdme.service and scarletdme@.service? I get the impression I need to put something in the .socket file to make it use scarletdme@ rather than scarletdme?

And once I've got all that sorted, I'm betting I'm going to have grief getting it to work properly, so while it's not much to do with systemd, is there any way I can get systemd to log all traffic back and forth so I can debug it?

Cheers,
Wol