systemd-ask-password and kernel keyring

According to man:

       --keyname=
           Configure a kernel keyring key name to use as cache for the password. If set, then the tool will try to push any collected passwords into the
           kernel keyring of the root user

Why only  for user root and not the user running systemd-ask-password?

I am working on a project where a user will run a keyserver. currently I do the keyctl add etc manually, but it would be much nicer is system-ask-password could use the user's keyring.

-Sietse