Re: systemd-ask-password and kernel keyring

On Mi, 14.11.18 11:38, Sietse van Zanen (sietse@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> According to man:
>
>        --keyname=
>            Configure a kernel keyring key name to use as cache for the password. If set, then the tool will try to push any collected passwords into the
>            kernel keyring of the root user
>

> Why only for user root and not the user running
> systemd-ask-password?

The whole "systemd-ask-password" concept was created with HDD
passwords in mind, i.e. system stuff. We could of course extend the
logic to also support unprivileged user stuff, and this has been
requested before, but so far nobody sent a patch updating things for
this purpose.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat