Re: How to debug occasional hashmap corruption?

juice kirjoitti 2018-11-06 14:30:
Lennart Poettering kirjoitti 2018-11-06 12:27:
On Di, 06.11.18 11:57, juice (juice@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Hi,

During the past half year I have seen systemd dump core three times due
to what I suspect a hashmap corruption or race.
Each time it looks a bit different and is triggered by different things
but it somehow centers on hashmap operations.

What would be the prefered way to debug this? I cannot add huge logging
as this is something that happens once in a blue moon and always in
different compute nodes.
Is there some way I could easily test it by increasing the chance of such
corruption/race happening?

This looks very much like a memory corruption of some sorts and
valgrind should be the tool of choice to track that down.

Lennart

Thanks tor the prompt reply, Lennart.

I agree; using valgrind indeed was something already considered, however I
suspect it might add some overhead in systemd operation?

I have been trying to start systemd under valgrind but seems it is not a trivial task to do. Moreover, no searching has revealed a general receipe for doing that other than the advice in systemd README's to compile with -Dvalgrind=true option.

So, where could I find information on how to set up memory corruption debug on
a live system for testing?

 - juice -