Re: Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt Dock not working with kernel > 6.6.28-1

Hi Mika

On 23-10-2024 08:10, Mika Westerberg wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2024 at 07:06:50PM +0200, Rick wrote:
Hi Mika,

I have removed pcie_asm=force as kernel parameter but still not working on
latest non LTS kernel.

Okay, I still suggest not having that unless you absolutely know that
you need it.

Noted thank you!

In regards to the disconnect; sorry I think I might have turned of the
docking station myself during that test. I have taken another dmesg without
me disconnecting the docking station:
https://gist.github.com/ricklahaye/9798b7de573d0f29b3ada6a5d99b69f1

The cable is the original Thunderbolt 4 cable that came with the docking
station. I have used it on this laptop using Windows (dualboot) without any
issues. Also on another Windows laptop also without issues. It was used in
40Gbit mode.

In the dmesg you shared above, there are still unplug and USB tunnel
creation fails so you only get USB 2.x connection with all the USB
devices on the dock.

Yes you are right. I removed all attached USB devices from the dock, but still see "3:3: USB3 tunnel activation failed, aborting"

How do you determine if it "works"? I guess keyboard and mouse (both
USB 2.x devices) and display (tunneled over USB4 link) all are working
right? However, if you plug in USB 3.x device to the dock it enumerates
as FullSpeed instead of SuperSpeed. There is definitely something wrong
here. I asked from our TB validation folks if they have any experience
with this dock but did not receive any reply yet.

What you mean by 40Gbit mode? The dock exposes two lanes both at 20G so
it should always be 40G since we bind the lanes, also in Windows.

2 lanes of 20G indeed.

Also In Windows, do you see if the all USB devices on the dock are
enumerated as FullSpeed or SuperSpeed? I suspect it's the former there
too but can you check? Keyboard and mouse should be FullSpeed but there
is some audio device that may be USB 3.x (SuperSpeed), or alternatively
if you have USB 3.x memory stick (or any other device) you can plug that
to the dock and see how it enumerates.

I checked on Windows with some 3.1 USB devices, and they were properly seen as 3.1 Superspeed+/10Gbps when attached to dock (using USBView from Windows SDK).

I also tried some Linux kernels, and it seems that 6.9 works, and 6.10 doesn't.

6.9: https://gist.github.com/ricklahaye/da8c63edb0c27dc55bef351f9f4dd035
6.10: https://gist.github.com/ricklahaye/c2f314f74ecadcc4a2bd358d5d07e97b

Thank you for the help you have provided.

Kind regards,
Rick Lahaye