Re: patches sent up to 6.13-rc1 that shouldn't be backported

On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 02:13:14PM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> Ok, I'll try to rework the other dependant patches to see if we can get
> that fix in somehow without this change.  But why not take this, what is
> it hurting?

I just don't see the need to backport *any* patches from my tree that
don't have an explicit Cc: stable@ marker on them. I'm pretty careful
about adding those, and when I forget, I send them manually onward to
stable@. If there's some judgement that a certain patch needs to be
backported that I didn't mark, that sounds like something to
deliberately raise, rather than a heap of emails that this patch and
that patch have been added willy-nilly.

The reason I care about this is that I generally care about stable and
consistency of rationale and such, and so if you *do* want to backport
some stuff, I am going to spend time checking and verifying and being
careful. I don't want to do that work if it's just the consequence of a
random script and not somebody's technical decision.