Re: patches sent up to 6.13-rc1 that shouldn't be backported

On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 01:58:03PM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 08:52:28AM +0200, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 01, 2024 at 06:02:45AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> > > Hi Sasha,
> > >
> > > I've been getting emails from your bots...
> > >
> > > I sent two pulls to Linus for 6.13-rc1:
> > >
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=4a39ac5b7d62679c07a3e3d12b0f6982377d8a7d
> > > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=34e1a5d43c5deec563b94f3330b690dde9d1de53
> > >
> > > In these, I'm not sure there's actually much valid stable material. I
> > > didn't mark anything as Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, I don't think.
> > >
> > > As such, can you make sure none of those get backported?
> > >
> > > Alternatively, if you do have reason to want to pick some of these,
> > > can you be clear with what and why, and actually carefully decide
> > > which ones and which dependencies are required as such in a
> > > non-automated way?
> >
> > They say so directly in the commit, i.e.:
> > 	Stable-dep-of: 6eda706a535c ("selftests: vDSO: fix the way vDSO functions are called for powerpc")
>
> Wha? Sasha added that. It's not in the original commit.

Yes, that's to document why this is being added to the stable tree.

> Is that tag anywhere in Linus' tree?

Again, no, this is added to help document why it is being added.

> > in each one.  So this seem to be needed to fix up the powerpc stuff.
> >
> > I'll drop them all if you feel these should not be applied.
>
> Yes, thanks.

Ok, I'll try to rework the other dependant patches to see if we can get
that fix in somehow without this change.  But why not take this, what is
it hurting?

thanks,

greg k-h