Re: It is correct to introduce new sys calls to stable versions?

On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 12:09:41AM +0800, Miao Wang wrote:
> However, my original question is whether it is expected to include new
> syscalls in kernel stable tree. According to the document "stable-kernel-
> rules", if I'm interpreting it correctly, I expect only bug fixes and small
> driver enhancements from stable releases. I understand the patch in question
> is actually introducing new syscalls, which is beyond my expectation. So I
> wonder the consideration of including this patch in stable releases.

When you maintain stable software you quickly realize that everything
is not just pure white or black but a shade of gray and that if it can
be considered as a bug to miss a syscall in certain environments for
example, then it can become a valid fix to add it. I don't have any
opinion on this particular one, but since your question is broader I'm
trying to explain.

Different people have different expectations about what needs to be
fixed, that's even why some people will choose a distro over another
one (prefer to fix only critical bugs over fixing all bugs for example),
but there's no point restarting a philosophical on this topic which has
already been rehashed too many times in the past.

As a rule of thumb, just keep in mind that anything that needs to get
fix will eventually be fixed.

Thanks,
Willy