Re: Kernel 6.8.4 regression: aacraid controller not initialized any more, system boot hangs

Hi Martin,

Am 14.05.2024 um 14:54 schrieb Martin K. Petersen:

Peter,

Did you have any chance to look into this in more depth? Do you need
more information from me to tackle this issue? I'm not a kernel
developer, just a user, but I guess with proper instruction I would be
able to compile and test patches.

I am afraid I haven't had a time to look further into this yet due to
travel. The annual LSF/MM/BPF conference is taking place this week. I
will get back to you as soon as possible.

Ok, great, so have a good time whereever this conference is going to take place! It isn't very urgent, because in the meantime I can just continue to use the 6.5.13 kernel on my Proxmox machine. I just wanted to ping you again so this wouldn't fall through the cracks.

Before I make any recommendations wrt. firmware updates I would like to
understand why a change intended to make scanning more resilient against
device implementation errors has had the opposite effect. Especially
since the change in question reverts to how Linux has scanned for
devices for decades.

I'll leave everything as it is now, and won't change the crime scene until you tell me what to do next.

Beste Grüße,
Peter Schneider

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,

Download: https://www.peters-netzplatz.de/download/pschneider1968_pub.asc
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=pschneider1968@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
https://keys.mailvelope.com/pks/lookup?op=get&search=pschneider1968@xxxxxxxxx