Re: [REGRESSION] kexec does firmware reboot in kernel v6.7.6

Hello everyone,

On 3/2/24 20:47, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote> Thx for testing and glad to hear. Still: if you have any feedback how to
make that guide even better, please let me know!

Yes, I have some improvements in mind.
Don't know if there is a Github repo where I can make a PR, but if not here's the gist:

1. The git clone/fetch instructions in the TLDR is easy to follow, but there are conflicting information later on in the main section and reference that taken together does not work. I think it would be better to not perform shallow clones or such advanced topics could be relegated to its own reference section.

Here's what I ended up using:
git clone -o mainline --no-checkout \
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git ~/linux/
cd ~/linux/
git remote add -t master stable \
  https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git
git checkout --detach v6.0
git checkout --force --detach mainline/master
git remote set-branches --add stable linux-6.7.y
git fetch --verbose stable
git checkout --force --detach v6.7.7
git checkout --force --detach v6.7.5

2. The "installkernel" command is called "kernel-install" in OpenSuse, and it doesn't really perform all the steps to install kernel. It calls dracut to create initramfs though, but that's hardly much help.

I ended up doing:
sudo make modules_install
sudo install -m 0600 $(make -s image_name) /usr/lib/modules/$(make -s kernelrelease)/vmlinuz sudo install -m 0600 System.map /usr/lib/modules/$(make -s kernelrelease)/System.map sudo kernel-install add $(make -s kernelrelease) /usr/lib/modules/$(make -s kernelrelease)/vmlinuz
sudo ln -sf /boot/initrd-$(make -s kernelrelease) /boot/initrd
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/modules/$(make -s kernelrelease)/vmlinuz /boot/vmlinuz-$(make -s kernelrelease)
sudo ln -sf /boot/vmlinuz-$(make -s kernelrelease) /boot/vmlinuz
sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/modules/$(make -s kernelrelease)/System.map /boot/System.map-$(make -s kernelrelease)
sudo update-bootloader

3. The dependencies for kernel building in OpenSuse and other major distros are incomplete, most of them have some form of package collection that can be provided as an alternative. For example in OpenSuse, I installed the following patterns (collection of packages): sudo zypper in -t pattern devel_basis devel_kernel devel_osc_build devel_rpm_build

4. The command to build RPM package (make binrpm-pkg) fails as the modules are installed into "/home/<user>/linux/.../lib" while depmod checks for modules in "/home/<user>/linux/.../usr/lib".

I think that's it, turned out not to be a gist after all. 🙂
Thank you very much for writing the updated guide, it was very helpful without which I don't think it would have been possible for someone like me to find/report this bug.

Full bisection done, culprit identified, and validated by reverting
commit on mainline.

I assume the latter meant "reverting the culprit on mainline fixed the
problem"; if you meant something else, please let us know.

Clarification: reverting culprit commit on mainline fixed the problem.

Kind regards,
Pavin Joseph.