Re: [REGRESSION] kexec does firmware reboot in kernel v6.7.6

[adding the people involved in developing and applying the culprit to
the list of recipients]

FWIW, thread starts here:
https://lore.kernel.org/all/3a1b9909-45ac-4f97-ad68-d16ef1ce99db@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

On 02.03.24 09:24, Pavin Joseph wrote:
> On 3/1/24 20:15, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
>> Does mainline show the same problem? The answer determines who later
>> will have to look into this.
> Yes, I reproduced the issue on mainline and the latest stable version
> 6.7.7 using your excellent guide.

Thx for testing and glad to hear. Still: if you have any feedback how to
make that guide even better, please let me know!

>> With a bit of luck somebody might have heard about problems like yours.
>> But if nobody comes up with an idea up within a few days we almost
>> certainly need a bisection to get down to the root of the problem.
>
> Full bisection done, culprit identified, and validated by reverting
> commit on mainline.

I assume the latter meant "reverting the culprit on mainline fixed the
problem"; if you meant something else, please let us know.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.

> Attached bisection log and config used.
>
> Bisection final results:
> 7143c5f4cf2073193eb27c9cdb84fd4655d1802d is the first bad commit
> commit 7143c5f4cf2073193eb27c9cdb84fd4655d1802d
> Author: Steve Wahl <steve.wahl@xxxxxxx>
> Date:   Fri Jan 26 10:48:41 2024 -0600
>
>     x86/mm/ident_map: Use gbpages only where full GB page should be mapped.
>
>     commit d794734c9bbfe22f86686dc2909c25f5ffe1a572 upstream.
>
>     When ident_pud_init() uses only gbpages to create identity maps, large
>     ranges of addresses not actually requested can be included in the
>     resulting table; a 4K request will map a full GB.  On UV systems, this
>     ends up including regions that will cause hardware to halt the system
>     if accessed (these are marked "reserved" by BIOS).  Even processor
>     speculation into these regions is enough to trigger the system halt.
>
>     Only use gbpages when map creation requests include the full GB page
>     of space.  Fall back to using smaller 2M pages when only portions of a
>     GB page are included in the request.
>
>     No attempt is made to coalesce mapping requests. If a request requires
>     a map entry at the 2M (pmd) level, subsequent mapping requests within
>     the same 1G region will also be at the pmd level, even if adjacent or
>     overlapping such requests could have been combined to map a full
>     gbpage.  Existing usage starts with larger regions and then adds
>     smaller regions, so this should not have any great consequence.
>
>     [ dhansen: fix up comment formatting, simplifty changelog ]
>
>     Signed-off-by: Steve Wahl <steve.wahl@xxxxxxx>
>     Signed-off-by: Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     Cc: stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     Link:
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240126164841.170866-1-steve.wahl%40hpe.com
>     Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>  arch/x86/mm/ident_map.c | 23 ++++++++++++++++++-----
>  1 file changed, 18 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

> Btw, the issue appears on LTS kernel 6.6.18 as well. I didn't build this
> one from the source and test, but installed it a while back from
> OpenSuse Tumbleweed repos as "kernel-longterm" is a new addition and is
> being actively tested over there.

P.S.:

#regzbot introduced d794734c9bbfe22f86686dc2909c25f5ffe1a572
#regzbot title x86/mm/ident_map: kexec now leads to reboot