Re: [REGRESSION] kexec does firmware reboot in kernel v6.7.6

Hi! Thx for the report.

On 01.03.24 15:10, Pavin Joseph wrote:

> #regzbot introduced v6.7.5..v6.7.6
>
> I'm experiencing an issue where kexec does a full firmware reboot
> instead of kexec reboot.

Does mainline show the same problem? The answer determines who later
will have to look into this.

> Issue first submitted at OpenSuse bugzilla [0].
>
> OS details as follows:
> Distributor ID:    openSUSE
> Release:    20240213
>
> Issue has been reproduced by building kernel from source.
>
> kexec works as expected in kernel v6.7.5.
> kexec does full firmware reboot in kernel v6.7.6.
>
> I followed the docs here [1] to perform git bisect and find the culprit,
> hope it's alright as I'm quite out of my depth here.

With a bit of luck somebody might have heard about problems like yours.
But if nobody comes up with an idea up within a few days we almost
certainly need a bisection to get down to the root of the problem.

I'm working on a more detailed guide describing the process, maybe that
works better for you:

https://www.leemhuis.info/files/misc/How%20to%20bisect%20a%20Linux%20kernel%20regression%20%e2%80%94%20The%20Linux%20Kernel%20documentation.html

It among other will make you check mainline and also 6.7.7, which was
just released.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.