Re: Google Pixelbook EVE, no sound in kernel 6.1.x

On 2/4/2023 4:16 PM, Jason Montleon wrote:
I have built kernels for 6.0.19 (I don't think anyone confirmed
whether or not it worked), plus every 6.1 tag from 6.1-rc1 up to
6.1.7. 6.0.19 worked. No 6.1 kernels worked. For rc1 to rc5 I built
with and without the legacy dai renaming patch added in rc6 that I
believe would be necessary, but it made no difference either way.

Hi,

thank you for trying to narrow it down, if I understand correctly -rc1 doesn't work, which means that problem was introduced somewhere between 6.0 and 6.1-rc1 (just for the sake of being sure, can you test 6.0 instead of 6.0.19?) There is one commit which I'm bit suspicious about: ef6f5494faf6a37c74990689a3bb3cee76d2544c it changes how HDMI are assigned and as a machine board present on EVE makes use of HDMI, it may potentially cause some problems. Can you try reverting it? (If reverting on top of v6.1.8 you need to revert both f9aafff5448b1d8d457052271cd9a11b24e4d0bd and ef6f5494faf6a37c74990689a3bb3cee76d2544c which has minor conflict, easily resolved with just adding both lines.

I also still wonder, why problem reproduces only on some distributions... any chance you can try and boot with pipewire/pulseaudio disabled and see if it still happens, iirc those tools try to check all FEs and this may be breaking something during enumeration.

Thanks,
Amadeusz