Re: SCHEDL_SMT forced on!

On 12/17/18, Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From the blog:
>

> Note, way back in the early days when I was first compiling the kernel for
> multi-core CPUs, SMT (hyperthreading), which simulates more than one core
> for each actual core, was causing file corruption. So, disabled it, and
> never trusted it after that.
> <<
>
> Since nearly everyone else has the option enabled we
> are quite confident there is no data corruption caused by it.
> So there shouldn't be any reason to turn it off.

I am an outsider, looking in, have only followed the RETPOLINE etc.
stuff fairly superficially. Would this statement be correct or
incorrect?:

With CONFIG_SCHED_SMT disabled, CONFIG_RETPOLINE is not needed.
With CONFIG_SCHED_SMT enabled, then CONFIG_RETPOLINE is required for
security reasons.
Enabling CONFIG_SCHED_SMT speeds up some operations, enabling
CONFIG_RETPOLINE slows it down again.
End result, not much speed gain, far more complicated kernel.

Regards,
Barry Kauler