Re: SCHEDL_SMT forced on!

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 09:27:46AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 02:21:55PM +0800, Barry Kauler wrote:
> > Mr Gleixner,
> > I was upset when I compiled 4.14.87 found that SCHED_SMT had been
> > forced on. At the time, I just reported it to my blog, and posted a
> > question about it to a couple of forums, and stayed with an earlier
> > kernel.
> >
> > However, when 4.14.88 came out, and still the same situation, alarm
> > bells went off, and I looked through the kernel changelog. Found it,
> > 4.14.86:
> >
> > "x86/Kconfig: Select SCHED_SMT if SMP enabled"
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > "CONFIG_SCHED_SMT is enabled by all distros, so there is not a real point to
> >     have it configurable. ..."
> >
> > ...that is a lie. It would be correct to state that is true of the
> > distros you use, and presumably also for all of you guys who signed
> > off on it.
> >
> > Puppy Linux is an example of a distro that has mostly not had
> > SCHED_SMT enabled. Ditto for most of the forks of Puppy. Two distros
> > that I currently maintain, Quirky and EasyOS (easyos.org) have SMP
> > enabled but not SCHED_SMT.
> >
> > The difference between them is important, they should remain
> > independently settable. I am so surprised that all of you guys went
> > along with forcing it on.
>
> Is having this option enabled causing a problem for you?  Does it cause
> slowdowns or runtime issues?

>From the blog:

Note, way back in the early days when I was first compiling the kernel for multi-core CPUs, SMT (hyperthreading), which simulates more than one core for each actual core, was causing file corruption. So, disabled it, and never trusted it after that.
<<

Since nearly everyone else has the option enabled we
are quite confident there is no data corruption caused by it.
So there shouldn't be any reason to turn it off.

-Andi