SCHEDL_SMT forced on!

Mr Gleixner,
I was upset when I compiled 4.14.87 found that SCHED_SMT had been
forced on. At the time, I just reported it to my blog, and posted a
question about it to a couple of forums, and stayed with an earlier
kernel.

However, when 4.14.88 came out, and still the same situation, alarm
bells went off, and I looked through the kernel changelog. Found it,
4.14.86:

"x86/Kconfig: Select SCHED_SMT if SMP enabled"

Then:

"CONFIG_SCHED_SMT is enabled by all distros, so there is not a real point to
    have it configurable. ..."

...that is a lie. It would be correct to state that is true of the
distros you use, and presumably also for all of you guys who signed
off on it.

Puppy Linux is an example of a distro that has mostly not had
SCHED_SMT enabled. Ditto for most of the forks of Puppy. Two distros
that I currently maintain, Quirky and EasyOS (easyos.org) have SMP
enabled but not SCHED_SMT.

The difference between them is important, they should remain
independently settable. I am so surprised that all of you guys went
along with forcing it on.

For the record, my blog post:

http://bkhome.org/news/201812/kernel-41487-compiled.html

Regards,