Re: is ssh tunneling a security risk?

--- On Fri, 10/17/08, David M. Kaplan <David.Kaplan@xxxxxx> wrote:

> What I am wondering is exactly what "security
> risk" does an ssh tunnel
> pose?  I thought you used an ssh tunnel to enhance
> security, not the
> other way around.  Can someone give me a reason why it is a
> risk to
> leave this open or give me good arguments that I can
> forward to IT for
> why they should not prohibit tunneling?
>
> Thanks,
> David

The security of tunneling can be tightened a bit by doing a couple things:
 + force key authentication
 + have rules in the public keys limiting what can be forwarded:  ie:
      permitopen="10.5.5.1:5000"
Then make sure the user has no ability to modify the authorized_key (make the whole homedir owned by root).