From: listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:listbounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Mario Platt
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 8:36 AM
To: Ron Arts
Cc: secureshell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Allowing remote root login seems to be bad. Why?

Hey,

Well in my opinion, debian guys are right, and for one reason only:
Logging.
If you login the machine with root, and everyone does it as well, you
will never know who is doing what. In the case of your machine being
only administered by yourself, and you have no sudo policies, it all
ends up being the same... mas in a multi admin environment, I think it's
an absolute must...

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Ron Arts <ron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I found that different Linux distributions have various policies

> regarding allowing remote root access. For example, The Redhat/Fedora
> crowd seems to enable this on default installs, but the Debian/Ubuntu
> don't, they recommend sudo.
>
> I googled around but could not find why fedora allows it, and the
> debian people just seem to have one reason: 'allowing remote root
> access is bad, everybody knows that'.
>
> Suppose I ensure that root has a very strong password, then does it
> really matter either way?
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

This transmission, together with any attachments, is intended only for the use of those to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any distribution or copying of this transmission is strictly prohibited.  If you received this transmission in error, please notify the original sender immediately and delete this message, along with any attachments, from your computer.