Re: Mail_fetch & gmail

A single GUI for all accounts, of webmail... I think it is not that simple.

I will give you a few ideas that are reasonable to me (and also to many friends that use them like me, and even people that have very small tech interests or habilities).

1. An email client like Thunderbird (there are many others that should be capable of the same, in any OS, any PC and most mobiles - mobile are wacky for simple things, these days). With Mozilla Thunderbird we may configure any number of different email accounts. We do not have to put the messages from each different server in just a single place. They may stay where they are, in the server, we just read them and use the service. Eventually, we may move some message to a "favorite" account, for archive or whatever reason we personally may have. Each server can use its own protocol (IMAP, POP), users and passwords, of course. We may filter message and many other "smaller" things.

2. Some webmail services offer the feature to check other email account we may have. For example, Hotmail may check our IMAP account in YahooMail using either our IMAP or POP configuration (the same we would use for Thunderbird or other programs). Basically, the service is moving or copying the messages so we just check one place - his place. Not misterious, but the client has much more flexibility with this feature than Thunderbird (or others). But it exists, people may prefer it.

2.1. Squirrelmail does not have this feature (maybe through some plugin, but I don't know it). It can be achieved indirectly by setting up our secondary email service (in the example above, it's YahooMail) to redirect all messages to another email address. The side effect may be either: the server will also keep a copy of all redirect messages on our account; redirect messages, but keep no copy of them, ever, so they will only be permanent kept in the redirected to destination (and if we do so there). This redirection is not something "just for Squirrelmail". Changing account/address is one common example where such redirection is a desired feature: we don't lose messages from people who has only the "old" address.

3. I see no problem using several tabs or windows to open a few different email account. Right now I have 3 of them running Squirrelmail, for completely different accounts and servers. When I need this, I keep all the mail tabs in one separate browser window, so it is "close enough" to what a program like Thunderbird would do, although it has much less features to the "full set of accounts", obviously.

Configuring Squirremail to use IMAP is straight forward, I think. Use the configure program that it has. I was familiar with many details the first time I set it up, so I don't even searched docs for this. It should not be hard for you to discover, I assume. But if you have any problems or doubts that are not covered in the documentation ( http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin.html ), ask here. :) Using POP instead of IMAP will commonly make the messages stop existing on the server (removed from there) and exist only where the client downloaded them to (which may be a single computer, away from your house).

I hope I've been clear and useful (although a bit too long).

Regards,

André

> Hi André
> My customer ( email account user) want keep in a single GUI all accounts email
> of 3 different providers.
> Provider 1 ( Me ), 1 email of customer webpage domain.
> Provider 2 ( ISP), 3 emails provided by ISP. Only pop3 allowed
> Provider 3 ( gmail), 2 emails provided by gmail.
> Of this i dont know if gmail allow imap, and i dont know how configure
> squirrelmail to use imap.
>
> Best Regards
> Christian
>
> El Dom 27 Sep 2015, André Z. D. A. escribió:
>
>> I am just curious with one detail. Why do you use POP instead of IMAP?

>>> HI:
>>> The answer i mode WORKS FOR ME i found on:
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.plugins/12569
>>>
>>> "Not a documented feature, but you can type ssl://host and change the
>>> port number, and it will work assuming your PHP version has SSL
>>> enabled. tls:// can also be used too. This is because the fsockopen
>>> call doesn't attempt to specify a protocol, so you can "cheat" the
>>> code by setting it in the hostname"
>>>
>>> So i configure:
>>> server=tls://pop.gmail.com
>>> port=995