Re: Why have an user mailing list?

On 17.09.2015 22:32, André Z. D. A. wrote:

> "You get what you pay for". Maybe I'm opting for the wrong webmail client.

"You get what you pay for" applies not only to the software, but also to
the support. You don't pay anyone (on this list, at least) for support,
so you are not entitled to a solution that works for you.

That doesn't mean there are no volunteers who would help if they could.
You have seen that Dave tried to help by pointing out that logging the
traffic between SquirrelMail and your IMAP server might be helpful? So
you are not in a situation where this is possible -- tough luck. Some
problems cannot be solved without closely looking at them.

[You might get a bit further, by the way, by letting SquirrelMail go
over an IMAP proxy to reach the Domino server and let the IMAP proxy log
the protocol traffic between both. The IMAP proxy distributed by the
SquirrelMail people can do protocol logging.[1]]

[1] http://squirrelmail.org/download.php#imap_proxy

This will be the same for any other webmail client. Maybe you can find
one that doesn't stumble over that particular problem, but with all open
source webmail systems you will encounter the same situation -- unless
you pay for support, it is unlikely that someone puts in hours to help you.

There is paid support for SquirrelMail available, by the way. See the
web site for details.

> And an user list is good to exist. But users are needed. And developers and other people involved with the deeper parts of its working should help when needed. Somewhere it is written: "Wait a few days for an answer". There is a problem I wrote here months ago, nothing followed that message. That is a bit disapointing. It didn't even need to be the solution, initially. But with my knowledge I cannot solve it, and in some aspects I know more than the average user should know, and this list name points that it is aimed for those.

There we are again. You are not entitled to *any* help from this list.
All free help you get is out of kindness, not out of any obligation.
And that there was none does not mean nobody looked at your question; I
know I did -- and had no idea.

The name of the list is a bit unfortunate indeed and has led to
misunderstandings in a few cases. On the SquirrelMail website it says:
"Despite its name, this list is intended for supporting administrators
and not end users."[2] Something like "squirrelmail operators" might be
clearer today, but the name is there as it is, and I suspect the
SquirrelMail people don't want to go through all the hassle to rename
it; as there are third-party archives involved, this is not a trivial task.

[2] http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-12.html

Regards, Juergen.