Re: Reply All does not include the Sender email address.

On Mon, August 17, 2015 22:17, jimmy cho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the reply,
>
> Yes  squirrelmail account is   sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> logged in as the  user sales.     the email  is from the sender
> 3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx .  The mail header is

> Problem is when reply-all is selected,  the sender
>
> 3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> is not  listed  in the To: field   only the  cc addresses.    The email
> was
> sent and the  sender never got  the reply because the user did not spot
> the
> missing   3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx  address.   I  agreed the email  header is
> defective because of  the  erroneous Reply-To:  .  But  the  From: field
> entry    3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx  should be in the To:  field  in the reply  email
> compose page.
>
> rgds
>
> Jimmy
>

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 12:54 PM, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/17/15, jimmy cho <jcho@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > squirrelmail  *Stable version snapshots* *(1.4.23-svn)*
>> > squirrelmail-20150817_0200-SVN.stable.tar.gz
>> >
>> > Centos 7
>> > php 5.4
>> > postfix 2.10
>> > dovecot-2.2.10
>> >
>> > The Sender is  3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Please send full headers.  "Sender" without more context is ambiguous.
>>
>> > cc list is   " tanker" <purtanker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> > <tanker-a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> > "Alk Rt" <alok.rawat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> >      "Chine Kh" <chr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> >  Email is addressed to  sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> >
>> > When the reply all selection is made
>> >
>> > The To: field is populated with
>> >
>> > "tanker" <purtanker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,   <tanker-a@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> "Alk
>> Rt"
>> > <alok.rawat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> >      "Chine Kh" <chr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> >
>> > which are the CC adddresses  in the  email.
>> >
>> > The sender  3FIQ@xxxxxxxxxx   is  not in the  To: field.
>> >

>> > One issue seem in the email header is the  Reply-To is set with
>> > sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx.  When another webmail client is used,  the sender
>> email
>> > is place in the To: field.
>>
>> Then perhaps your bug report should go to the other webmail system
>> that does not respect the Reply-To header.  Sounds like SquirrelMail
>> is doing exactly what it should, at least guessing without seeing all
>> the details.
>>
>> > When the squirrelmail 1.4.22 version is used,  the
>> sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > is place in the To:  field
>>
>> So I'll guess that the account you're logged into is
>> sales@xxxxxxxxxxxx (but it's your job to tell me things like that).
>> If that's the case, you can look at the setting: Options==>Display
>> Preferences==>Include Me in CC when I Reply All
>>
>> > and the cc addresses are placed in the CC:
> [...]

Reply-TO: exists explicitly to force replies to go to that address.
Emails generated from Web Forms have to use the web user as the FROM
address to pass through anti-spam filters, but when the person receiving
the email replies they expect the mail to go back to the person who filled
out the form not the computer.  Any other result causes problems.
<RANT>They had to invent a special header 'X-Sender:' to deal with the
defective programs which ignore the Reply-To field in favor of the FROM
field.</RANT>

------
William R. Mussatto
Systems Engineer