Re: Show HTML Version by Default" -- any issues?

On 1/19/15, Juergen Nickelsen <juergen.nickelsen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 17.01.2015 04:21, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>> NOTE:  SourceForge is currently having problems with their mailing
>> lists.  This is a message originally from Juergen Nickelsen sent on
>> Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:26:53 +0100
>
> [So, hopefully this messages makes it to the list now...]
>
>> Recently we had a complaint by one user that some of his messages
>> wouldn't display correctly in the interface as with, say, Gmail; it
>> turned out that they did when he enabled the "Show HTML Version by
>> Default" option.
> [...]
>> We are now thinking of enabling this option for all users; most may not
>> even know it exists, but will probably be happy with the change. Some
>> may complain about the change, but we hope to appease them with
>> instructions how to revert it.
>>
>> Are there any other issues to consider? I see that SquirrelMail does not
>> load external images by default, but that I can load them with a click,
>> which is the right thing to do, so no privacy issues here.
>>
>> Any other concerns?
>
> In between I can report that setting the "Show HTML Version by Default"
> option for all users has had no negative impact that we are aware of,
> and I think we had no complaints by users about messages not being
> displayed correctly.

In 1.4.23, I added a configuration setting called
$use_transparent_security_image which I think I defaulted to TRUE, but
you should check to see what you have it set to.  The legacy
SquirrelMail setting that showed many "this image has been removed for
security reasons" PNGs all over the page made rich text messages
nearly unreadable.

With that set to TRUE, I also default my systems to view as HTML.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team