Deleted messages not being removed from the display

I am running Squirrel Mail v1.4.23 [SVN] on a 64 bit machine running Debian
7.02, with Exim 4 and Dovecot all installed from the Debian repository.
I normally access my email using Outlook, but occasionally use Squirrel Mail
for remote Web access and have recently discovered that when I delete an
email the email is copied into the Trash folder, but the email remains in
the INBOX - greyed out and with a red D in front of the Subject listing, but
the email is not deleted from the  listing or from the email file in the
/var/mail folder.
 I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has to sort out this problem.

Regards

TrevorDes