Mails lost in mailserver after opened up by Squirrelmail

Hi all,
We have a LAN server (Win 7 Pro 32b) where is installed:
Mercury Mail server/32 vs. 4.74,
Squirrelmail 1.4.22,
Webserver Abyss X2 (v2.7), by Aprelium,
PHP (preconfigured by Aprelium) vs. 5.5.5.

The Mercury mail server works fine. It collects mail by POP3 from external
sources and delivers it by SMTP to clients in the LAN. Squirrelmail is
installed as a IMAP client, and accessing Squirrelmail from outside the LAN
gives access to the mail on the server - as long as it isn't downloaded by a
client. This works fine as well.
The problem is, that when I open a mail by Squirrelmail, the mail dissapears
from the mail server. It's gone. Clients cannot download it anymore. It is
still available within Squirrelmail, but I want to be able to download mail
from the mail server even when the mail is opened by Squirrelmail.

What can I do to keep the mails on the server after opening it with
Squirrelmail?

Many thanks beforehand for your suggestions.
With kind regards,
Fokke Nauta