Re: data prefs permission error after login

Please post in plain text to this list, thanks.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Ryan Dagey <dts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello:
>

> We’ve had a working squirrelmail for a long time now. Yesterday, we added to new users to the mail server, configured the Maildir and sent initial email. After this, users could no longer use the squirrelmail system. Behavior is different for existing versus the two new users, but the error message is the same:
>

> ERROR
>
> Preference file, ../data/[USERNAME].pref.tmp, could not be written. Contact your system administrator to resolve this issue.
>

> For existing users, they are logged in and can view the folder pane, with the error in the right pane (no message list is accessible); for the new users, they are immediately presented with the error upon logging in.
>

> I have made attempts to determine the cause, most likely a permission issue. The apache user/group has writable permissions to the data directory (I even tested with full 777 permissions). I deleted and recreated the data directory with proper permissions from this page, and tested with data in the /var folder:

My only suggestion would be to inspect the permissions on the parent
directories.  And take a deeper look at what you changed when you
added the new users, or think about other simultaneous changes you
made.  Things don't stop working without good reason.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team