Bug Report

I subscribe to the squirrelmail-users mailing list.
  [ ]  True - No need to CC me when replying
  [X]  False - Please CC me when replying

This bug occurs when I ...
  .X. view a particular message
  ... use a specific plugin/function
  ... try to do/view/use ....

The description of the bug:
This is only inside Squirrelmail.
If the subject contain Å or å, it isn't visible in the list over messages,
I can see it should be there but there isn't any link to click at.

If the sender contain Å or å (like in å ) the sender isn't visible
in the list over messages.

If the text inside the email contains Å or å, that paragraph isn't visible
within Squirrelmail, but using Outlook shows everything perfect.

This happened after updated the system (some previous problems with
apt-get were fixed and I installed literally houndreds of updates within a
couple of minutes). I started with SM 1.4.21, but upgraded to 1.4.22 in
case that would solve the problem (it didn't).
I'm running this on Debian x64.

I can reproduce the bug by:
Sending an email with Å or å.

(Optional) I got bored and found the bug occurs in:

(Optional) I got really bored and here's a fix:

My browser information:
  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.31 (KHTML, like
Gecko) Chrome/26.0.1410.64 Safari/537.31

My web server information:
  PHP Version 5.4.4-15
  PHP Extensions (List)
    * 0 = Core
    * 1 = date
    * 2 = ereg
    * 3 = libxml
    * 4 = openssl
    * 5 = pcre
    * 6 = zlib
    * 7 = bcmath
    * 8 = bz2
    * 9 = calendar
    * 10 = ctype
    * 11 = dba
    * 12 = dom
    * 13 = hash
    * 14 = fileinfo
    * 15 = filter
    * 16 = ftp
    * 17 = gettext
    * 18 = SPL
    * 19 = iconv
    * 20 = json
    * 21 = mbstring
    * 22 = session
    * 23 = posix
    * 24 = Reflection
    * 25 = standard
    * 26 = shmop
    * 27 = SimpleXML
    * 28 = soap
    * 29 = sockets
    * 30 = Phar
    * 31 = exif
    * 32 = sysvmsg
    * 33 = sysvsem
    * 34 = sysvshm
    * 35 = tokenizer
    * 36 = wddx
    * 37 = xml
    * 38 = xmlreader
    * 39 = xmlwriter
    * 40 = zip
    * 41 = apache2filter
    * 42 = mysqlnd
    * 43 = PDO
    * 44 = gd
    * 45 = intl
    * 46 = mcrypt
    * 47 = mysql
    * 48 = mysqli
    * 49 = pdo_mysql
    * 50 = pdo_pgsql
    * 51 = pgsql
    * 52 = pspell
    * 53 = mhash

SquirrelMail-specific information:
  Version:  1.4.22
  Plugins (List)
    * 0 = bug_report
    * 1 = test

My IMAP server information:
  Server type:  dovecot
  Server info:  * OK [HIDDEN] IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
  Capabilities:  IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT
SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE
CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS STARTTLS
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN